Acupuncture is a therapeutic method used to encourage natural healing, reduce or relieve pain, and improve function of the affected area. It involves the insertion of very fine needles through the skin and tissues at specific points on the body. Acupuncture stimulates body to produce its own pain relieving chemicals called ‘endorphins’. It also improves the energy and biochemical balance of the body to facilitate the body’s natural healing abilities.
Education is a key component to Physiotherapy. It is provided individually by the Physiotherapist and Athletic Therapist and is enhanced with the use of other learning tools. Education is provided on the nature of the injury, the healing process, pain management, hurt vs. harm, and prevention of re-injury, to facilitate an early and safe return to work / sport.
GLA:D® Canada Program
Osteoarthritis in your Hip or Knee?
If you experience pain and limitation due to osteoarthritis (OA) in your hip and/or knee, this new program may be right for you!
- The goal is to reduce symptoms so that you can do the things you want to do
- The program has been shown to improve quality of life, reduce pain and use of pain killersi, and may delay the need for joint replacement surgeryii
- This program is unique because it teaches you how to build the correct movement patterns into your everyday activities
- The program is suitable for individuals with early to late stages of OA
- Can also positively impact other chronic diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, etc.
What is the GLA:DTM Canada program?
- After development and proven success in Denmark, the Ontario Trillium Foundation funded the Canadian Orthopedic Foundation to implement the program in Canada
- The program is based on the most up to date evidence on how to manage hip and knee OA
- The program consists of 2 education sessions and 12 exercise sessions over 7 weeks
- Classes are done in small groups, delivered by specially trained physiotherapists
- Individualized, targeted exercise that can be applied to movement in everyday activities are prescribed
- More information about the program can be found at http://gladcanada.ca
Injury Specific Exercise Program
A customized exercise program is developed by the Physiotherapist in conjunction with the certified Athletic Therapist for your specific injury, to stretch tight areas and strengthen weakened ones. The program is progressed until full function is achieved. The exercise program may incorporate a wide variety of equipment, such as the treadmill, stationary bicycle, therapeutic ball, BOSU, body blade, rebounder, fitter, weights and pulleys.
Manual Therapy is a comprehensive system of diagnosis and treatment involving mobilization (rhythmic passive movement), manipulation (a passive thrust), and education to restore optimal motion, function and / or reduce pain.
Physiotherapy modalities can be described as the application of mechanical / thermal and / or electrical forces to an area of the body to enhance function and / or healing.
Our modalities include:
- Therapeutic ultrasound
- Therapeutic laser
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Interferential current (IFC)
- Electric muscle stimulation (EMS)
- BTE Primus RS
The BTE Primus RS is the most versatile and functional evaluation and rehabilitation system on the market today. The Primus RS is perfect for treating sports injuries because it provides the ability to do plyometrics and rhythmic stabilization training as well as true 3-D patterns. The Primus RS is perfect for industrial rehabilitation as it can simulate work-related tasks and objectively evaluate effort and progress. It can also provide post-offer job screening and functional testing. The ability to simulate natural muscle movement and everyday tasks is excellent for restoring patient’s ability to handle activities of everyday living, on the job, at home, or with sport.
A structured, goal-oriented, individualized treatment program is designed to maximize the individual’s ability to return to work utilizing real or simulated work activities in conjunction with conditioning tasks.
Athletic Therapy Services
Assessment and Treatment
Certified Athletic Therapists CAT(C)’s are experts at injury assessment and rehabilitation. They adhere to the Sports Medicine Model of care and treat a wide range of patients, from kids with concussions to seniors recovering from hip replacement surgery. They utilize various manual therapies, contemporary rehabilitative techniques, modalities, exercise prescription and even bracing and taping to accomplish identified short and long term client centered goals. Their treatments may vary but the objective doesn’t: an Athletic Therapist’s
objective is to help clients return to their usual activities, whether that means playing competitive sports or walking to the mailbox and back.
Many private / extended health insurance plans as well as sports associations include Athletic therapy assessment and treatment in their policies. Please review your individual policy for coverage and limit details.
Certified Shift Concussion Management Provider
A full service comprehensive concussion management program that may include some or all of the following; team and or individual baseline testing, post-injury care, return-to-play preparation, education and prevention strategies.
Comprehensive Baseline Assessment including;
- Computerized neurocognitive testing utilizing ImPACT®- the most widely used and most scientifically validated computerized concussion evaluation system.
- Postural stability/balance assessment.
- Visual coordination screen.
Post-injury Assessment and Injury Management;
- Individualized injury education, home instruction, academic/ work accommodations and resting strategies.
- Manual therapy and rehabilitation for related musculoskeletal dysfunctions.
- Computerized neurocognitive testing utilizing ImPACT®
- Vestibular (balance) and oculomotor (visual coordination) therapeutic exercise
Supervised Physical Exertion Testing;
- For a safe and gradual return-to-play (in accordance with the Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich 2012).
Exclusive Testing Facility for SureHire
We offer occupation health programs to help employers create a safe, healthy and productive workforce.
- Fit for Work testing (medical/musculoskeletal screen and strength and mobility testing)
- Drug and alcohol testing
- Vison Testing (colour vision, night vision and acuity)
Massage Therapy Services
Massage therapy is a hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body – specifically, the muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and joints. Massage therapy treatment has a therapeutic effect on the body and improves health and well-being by acting on the muscular, nervous and circulatory systems. Physical function can be developed, maintained, and improved, and physical dysfunction and pain can be relieved, or prevented, through the use of massage therapy.
Ergonomics examines the relationship between the worker and their work environment, to develop a setting that benefits both performance and well being.
Our Athletic Therapist, Steve, takes care of all our ergonomic evaluations. These examinations are individualized assessments that include a comprehensive report containing:
- workstation evaluation
- identification of hazardous working conditions
- recommendations for prevention or decrease in the occurrence of injuries
Ergonomic Assessments take approximately 1 hour to complete and are normally covered by employee health care plans.
Functional Abilities Evaluation
A functional abilities evaluation (FAE) is an objective quantitative method of assessing an individual’s ability to perform a range of functions. These results are then compared to the individual’s occupational physical demands.
Independent Physiotherapy Examinations
Our clinic also offers Independent Physiotherapy Examinations. These evaluations examine soft tissue as well as musculoskeletal systems in order to determine if an accident-related impairment is present. The examination is based on subjective questions, objective measurements and physical testing. (ex. gait observation, muscle strength, flexibility evaluation, nerve function and sensitivity)
Physical Demands Analysis
A physical demands analysis is a tool that states the essential duties of a job and defines what a specific job requires physically in relation to a job task.
St. Catharines Physiotherapy Centre in conjunction with Diane Archer at Compassionate Body Pilates is offering Pilates classes to those interested in learning a new way to better their health in a low impact way.
Pilates is an exercise system based on using your own bodyweight as a resistance in order to develop strength and stability. It is a versatile exercise program and can be adapted for all levels of fitness and modified for any existing injuries.
The benefits of a regular pilates practice include:
- Improved muscular strength, endurance, and tone
- Increased core stability
- Increased flexibility
- Improved immune system
- Reduced risk of injury
Joseph Pilates used to say “In 10 sessions you will feel the difference, in 20 you will see the difference, and in 30 you will have a whole new body!”
For more information about Pilates, classes and fees, please go to www.compassionatebodypilates.com
A post-offer screen is a functional evaluation of total body movements utilizing a set of standardized protocols, to measure the worker’s ability to perform a specific job.
Our rental rooms have been used by various independent rehabilitation companies, employers and lawyers. Our facility rental fee includes:
- Full Reception Service
- Wheelchair Accessibility
- Access to Phone
- Access to Bathroom
- Free Parking and Wheelchair Parking
- Other services available through negotiation (ex. Gym Equipment)
*Please call to inquire or book